Support the Freedom to Invest in Tomorrow's Workforce Act
Please consider sending your US House representative a message supporting H.R. 5339, the Freedom to Invest in Tomorrow's Workforce Act.
This bipartisan bill, introduced by Reps. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA) and Rob Wittman (R-VA), would amend the tax code to permit beneficiaries to use funds in 529 savings plans for expenses associated with obtaining or maintaining post-secondary credentials, which include professional certificates or certifications.
Each state has a 529 savings program, created to encourage savings for higher education. The program authorizes tax-free savings accounts for specific educational expenses. Currently, these tax-free earning accounts do not include professional certification.
If passed, the Freedom to Invest in Tomorrow's Workforce Act will open 529 savings plans to include:
- Tuition for certification programs
- Examination and testing fees
- Books, study sources, practice exams, and associated costs of certifications
- Tuition for continuing education and/or re-certification expenditures
- Credential renewal fees
- Other fees associated with maintaining certifications